Network manager: REI Practice Team Member (50%) Field-Building Team Member (50%)
Location: Washington, DC or New York, NY
Reports to: Associate Director
About the Position:
This an exciting opportunity for someone who is committed to racial justice and wants to work on a collaborative team to address structural inequities through local government. Living Cities seeks to help local government leaders and staff develop racial equity and inclusion competencies and an analysis grounded in antiracist principles so that they will use their power and influence to implement practices, processes, policies that advance the safety and power of people of color.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for implementing and further developing our network management strategy across the 30 cities in the Closing the Gaps Network. Partnering with an outstanding team of colleagues, consultants and external partners, the Senior Associate will split their role on two teams, the team focusing on the Year of Reckoning cohort the Field-building and Sectoral change team. The Senior Associate will support internal learning with network member data analysis that can contribute to programming, convening agendas and content. This team member will facilitate knowledge exchange between member cities and partners through virtual convenings and content for the CTG Online platform. Moreover, the Senior Associate will ensure that practices and strategies being implemented by the Year of Reckoning cohort are shared to promote the adoption of those lessons by leaders in more cities across the network and beyond to the field.
1. Network management:
- Participate in the ongoing community management of local government practitioners including building trust, supporting convergence around shared goals, facilitating the adoption of promising practices, and engaging relevant partners, stakeholders, and communities, as appropriate/necessary
- Make connections between Year of Reckoning cohort and network cities work
- Identify and facilitate peer-to-peer learning and implementation strategies
- Develop strategies for curriculum and applied learning delivery
- Facilitate member engagement events, introductions, and resource connections
- Develop and run Salesforce reports to track engagement, resource exchanges, and potential collaboration opportunities
- Plan and coordinate mayoral Chiefs of Staff and special advisors convenings
- Plan and coordinate City Manager convenings
- Help develop and facilitate convenings and special presentations for CTG Network members and the field
- Apply CTG network convening principles to co-create agendas and co-facilitate conversations between Year of Reckoning cohort and network cities
Strategy & Direction Setting
- Support local, network-wide, and national strategy development through research, data collection, and strategic analysis of qualitative and quantitative data
- Contribute to and support CTG Network community accountability strategy to ensure we are building accountability relationships with organizers in community
Facilitation and convening
- Design and lead one-on-one and small team meetings and convenings with simple and clear objectives
- Sets direction for larger meetings/convenings, factoring in context, participants and layered objectives
- Strategically and appropriately use various methods of writing and speaking to catalyze momentum, convey ideas and foster collaboration
- Strategically align purpose and audience; connects content to big picture
- Share relevant info with managers, team members, external partners and stakeholders
- Identifies opportunities for collaboration in service of shared goals
- Identify links and through-lines across bodies of work across partners
- Support intra-network collaboration; leverages existing structures and platforms to support relationships and build/strengthen connections among partners
Racial Equity and Inclusion (REI)
- Understands foundational knowledge and core concepts of racial equity
- Able to infuse REI practice and analysis in work and support others across the organization
- Empathy and compassion
- Awareness of self and others
- A minimum of 6 years’ applicable work experience
- A flexible and collaborative mindset
- Exceptional communication, both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to engage and listen effectively both in person and digitally
- Ability to prioritize and manage a variety of projects
- Ability to travel as needed, to different locations across the United States, including between our office locations
- Experience with CRM databases, particularly with Salesforce is a plus
- Experience with Office 365 and Google Drive
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter with the subject line: Network Manager.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
This job operates in a professional office environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing this job, the employee must be able to remain in a stationary position at least 50% of the time. Additionally, they may require movement around the office to access files or other equipment. As collaboration and communication is a large part of our work, the employee must also be able to accurately exchange information in these situations, whether virtually or in person.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided should the employee require them.
This is a full-time exempt position.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
AAP/EEO POLICY STATEMENT
Living Cities is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team at all levels. We are an equal opportunity employer and provide opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.