Living Cities We are working in partnership with Nonprofit HR. To apply for this role, please visit this link.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Founded in 1991, Living Cities is a collaborative of prominent foundations and financial institutions. We foster transformational relationships across sectors and connect leaders, stakeholders, and policy influencers committed to closing racial income and wealth gaps in America’s cities. We partner with cross-sector leaders in cities across the country to imagine and create an America in which all people are economically secure, building wealth, and living abundant, dignified, and connected lives. Our staff, investments, convenings, and networks support efforts that operationalize racial equity and inclusion in local government, create inclusive narratives, bring communities together to strategically address systemic racial inequities and build wealth among BIPOC communities through specific tactical pathways, i.e., entrepreneurship, homeownership, and access to capital.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Communications is an essential role that positions and communicates our vision, mission, messaging, programs, and initiatives to external and internal constituents, partners, and stakeholders. They are an experienced leader who will be excited by the
immediate objective of building out our communications function to advance our strategic aims; deepening effective practices; and narrative change that envisions equitable economic opportunity as our nation’s future and insists upon positive asset framing of BIPOC people in the present, as well as the need for systems change to achieve equitable economic opportunity for all.
The ideal candidate is an exceptional communicator with a proven track record in large scale, national in scope, mission-driven, and social impact environments.
Primary functions may include:
· Managing the day-to-day operations of a newly formed and developing communications function, including budgeting; staff recruitment, management, and development; and managing consultants and vendors.
· Digital and social media expertise including strategy, editorial development, planning, and execution.
· Monitoring and analyzing digital and social media engagement to strengthen and improve communications strategies.
· Contributing to the continued assessment of current internal and external communications and media practices, systems, and processes; and the design and execution of new practices, systems, and processes.
· Harnessing and leveraging the content, knowledge, information, and activity Living Cities produces, and strategic thought around when/where/how to distribute our findings and knowledge.
· Press and media relations – a proficient understanding of the new and evolving media landscape.
· Developing and tracking communications performance metrics on a quarterly basis.
· Issues, reputation and brand management.
· Experience creating an overall strategy for an organization with multi-faceted priorities;
· Effective and adept at translating messages for different key audiences including media, local city government leaders, policymakers, and other thought leaders.
Cross-organizational and team Support
· Advising and supporting internal teams, campaigns and projects with communications objectives and priorities.
· Positioning and supporting leadership, board/membership, and the organization to influence a broader audience.
· Advising and supporting operations and human resources with internal communications.
· Supporting and informing the design and development of content, executive and high-level communications, events and convenings.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Minimum of 8-10 years’ work experience in a mission-driven, social impact, non-profit, philanthropy, and/or communications field
· Experience managing communications resources, including internal and external relationships, vendors, and agencies.
· Proven experience with strategic planning and execution; messaging strategy; public affairs and public relations; brand consistency and development; reputation stewardship; content development; writing and editing; project management; presentation development; speaker and thought leadership bureau; vendor relations; and budget management.
· Exceptional writing and editing skills
· Strong organization and time management skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop and maintain productive relationships across lines of difference and to serve as an organizational culture carrier
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, G Suite, WordPress, social media platforms
· Knowledgeable in communications tools and processes suited for amplifying, promoting, and advancing Living Cities’ mission
Racial Equity & Inclusion (REI)
· Foundational knowledge and core concepts
· Understands why racial equity is an integral part of Living Cities’ approach, inside and outside the organization
· Displays clear willingness to learn and apply REI history and concepts REI Practice and Analysis
· Engages with curiosity, humility and openness in discussions about race, equity and power inside and outside of the organization
· Understands how the construct of race has impacted the distribution of power and resources, and recognizes its impact on current and future outcomes across systems
· Applies REI to inform discussions and decision-making
· Upholds racial equity outcomes, goals, and performance measures with team and on
· Able to incorporate REI ideas, concepts, and history into project work and methodology
$102,240 – $127,800
This is the minimum range for this position. Experience and locality are taken into consideration when determining a salary offer.
Manages a Senior Associate
This job operates in a professional office environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As much of our work is performed on a computer, the employee must be able to remain in a position that allows them to do so effectively. Additionally, they may require some movement around the office to access files or other equipment or technology. As collaboration and communication are a large part of our work, the employee must also be able to accurately exchange information in these situations, whether verbally or written.
We will work with each employee to provide reasonable accommodations as needed.
This is a full-time position.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected.
AAP/EEO POLICY STATEMENT
Living Cities is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive team at all levels. We are an equal opportunity employer and provide opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.