On our 25th Anniversary, Living Cities will host a Virtual Event to honor the good work done over the past quarter century, reflect back on the progress that has been made, and most importantly, look to the future.
I’m thrilled to announce a thought-provoking, virtual experience! On Tuesday, September 27th, Living Cities will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary. As part of our celebration, we will be hosting a Virtual Event for you to engage in critical conversations around the topic of closing racial opportunity gaps in the United States.
To honor the good work done over the past quarter century, we will reflect back on the progress that has been made, and most importantly, look to the future and ask you to share ideas.
HOW YOU CAN PARTICIPATE
1) Tune-in! Over the course of the day, we will Live-Stream a series of provocative panels, presentations and artist performances on Facebook. We encourage you to tune-inand partake in virtual conversation with other participants. We will also be Live-Tweeting using our handle @Living_Cities, and the hashtag #LC25Years.
*Live-Streaming will start at 9:00 AM EST.
2) Join our Twitter Chat! We will wrap-up the day with a Live Twitter-Chat on “How to Make Capitalism Work for Social Change.” Anyone can join the chat! We will moderate using our Twitter handle @Living_Cities, and the hashtag #LC25Years. At the conclusion of the hour-long chat, all participants will be invited to share their final ideas and action commitments. Additional details and a list of chat questions are forthcoming.
*The Twitter Chat will start at 2:30 PM EST.
3) Read Live Blogs on Medium! Our staff will be sharing insights, photos and reflections from our members, partners and grantees who will be celebrating our 25th Anniversary together in Washington, DC. Follow along on our Medium Publication.
WHY YOUR VOICE IS IMPORTANT
Your participation is crucial to closing racial opportunity gaps. Living Cities recognizes that the issue of inequality is complex, and difficult to solve. We are open-sourcing solutions to you, our followers, so that we might co-create a path forward so that we can achieve dramatically better results, faster, in the next 25 years.
*Register to participate in the Virtual Event, and receive updates about speakers and start times.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE EVENT
View the full Agenda on our Registration Page.
Urban Word Poets Performance Facebook Live Spoken Word Poets, Mahogany Browne and Crystal Valentine, present an artist’s interpretation of the challenge. The Virtual Audience will be prompted to reflect during the performance, and participate in facilitated Q&A on Facebook and Twitter.
Panel: Race, Opportunity, and U.S. Cities Facebook Live; Live Tweets and Q&A with #LC25Years Despite great progress over the past 25 years, disparities in areas such as housing, wealth and income have grown, with people of color falling disproportionately behind. Our panelists will focus on critical changes that are necessary to close the gaps in the next 25 years.
- Angela Glover Blackwell, President and CEO of PolicyLink
- Glenn Harris, President of the Center for Social Inclusion
- Blair Taylor, CEO of My Brother’s Keeper Alliance
- Sarah Wartell, President of Urban Institute
- Rashad Robinson, Executive Director of Color of Change
- Nick Turner, President and Director of Vera Institute of Justice
- Lata Reddy, Vice President of Corporate Social Responsibility and President of the Prudential Foundation
Audible’s Big Bet in Newark Facebook Live; Live Tweets with #LC25Years A brief presentation on rethinking Social Investment in U.S. cities with Don Katz, Founder and CEO, Audible Inc.
LIVE TWITTER CHAT
How to Make Capitalism Work for Social Change Live Twitter Chat and Q&A with #LC25Years We will wrap-up the day with a Live Twitter-Chat on “How to Make Capitalism Work for Social Change.” We will moderate with our Twitter handle @Living_Cities using hashtag #LC25Years. At the conclusion of the hour-long chat, all participants will be invited to share their final ideas and action commitments.